Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Our first date

I met Chris at the bell. I was early (surprise!) and was walking around talking on the phone when I saw him go by. I scoped him out for a minute and then went up to say hello.
We went to eat at The Brewery. Dinner was good and we had a nice time talking. We got done and went upstairs to where the band was going to be. The Brewery staff was serving wine and beer so we got a drink and sat down to talk. We talked about things to do in and around Knoxville. We both wanted to go to Nama which had just opened. Chris was on a quest to find his favorite beer and I suggested The Beer Seller which was still open then. We talked about all kinds of places that we should go. Then the opening band came on...
It was horrible! We both cringed but kept saying that Jolie Holland would be much better. Well, she wasn't. It's funny because when Springtime Will Kill You came out; I heard it on the radio and loved it. I was shocked to find out it was Jolie Holland - the woman who ruined my first date. Maybe my tastes have changed since then. Anyway, we are both not enjoying the music so Chris says, "You want to get out of here." He didn't say it in a sleazy "back to my place way." I figured we would walk over to Preservation Pub and have a drink and chat some more. I agreed.
We got back downstairs and Chris asked me where I parked. I assumed he didn't want us to head off downtown in the opposite direction. I told him I was in the State Street garage. He said, "I'll walk you to your car." My mind was racing. "Is our date over?!?” I was thinking.
We got to my car and he opened my door. I waited for the awkward "I like you but we just met" hug and instead....
"See ya!” he says. And he waves his hand and walks away.
I called my girlfriend to say that not only was the date awful but he didn't even have the decency to pretend he was going to call me again.
He called the next day. We averaged 1 date every 4 days for the next 2 months. After that it just gets blurry.

No comments: